Home About Awards Events News Resources Certification Projects Construction Tilt-Up Products Directory login

Hurricane High School

In order to obtain cost efficient buildings, the Washington County School District has been constructing their educational facilities with concrete tilt-up for the past several years. This economical option made for faster construction and a beautiful end product using multiple structural systems: beautiful color integrated Tilt-Up panels, masonry and steel metal panels. Due to the tilt-up method of construction and phasing system, the school remained operational and led to faster overall construction.

This project included three phases: 1. The following was constructed on the old athletic field: three-story classrooms, commons, gymnasium, administrative offices, and media center; 2. 80% of the old building was demolished, and the other 20% was gutted and renovated. Tilt-up panels were were attached to exterior to tie in the new construction with the old; and 3. Demolished vocational building and built new vocational building which included shops, graphic arts department, drafting, ceramics, and woodworking.

This project was not only a challenge to design, but also to build. Concrete tilt-up panels varied greatly in geometry. There were many spandrel and cantilevered panels to accommodate entry ways and large openings. Sandwich panels were used in some locations for exterior walls in areas that required a durable wall surface. Some of these areas were the gymnasium, wrestling room, cabinet shop, and welding shop. Due to the complexity of the panels, an elevation of every concrete tilt-up panel was not only done not only architectural but also structurally. The project included tilt-up panels next to CMU and there was creativity in attaching the tilt-up panels with unseen connections.

Main banner image for Hurricane High School

Project Location

St. George, UT 84790
United States


The Tilt-Up Achievement Awards were established to honor projects that use site-cast tilt-up concrete to introduce new building types, advance industry technology and provide unique solutions to building programs. Winning entries illustrate the variety, beauty, and flexibility of tilt-up construction.



The world’s greatest tilt-up structures are featured by the TCA as Tilt-Up Achievement Award Winners. Learn more >

Project Images


Project Team (TCA Members)

General Contractor:
Concrete Contractor:
BHB Consulting Engineers PC
HD Supply Construction & Industrial White Cap

Project Specifics

Project Category:
Building Types:
Number of Floors:
Number of Panels:
179 panels
Tilt-Up Wall Area:
68,000 sq ft (6,317 sq m)
Total Floor Area:
206,000 sq ft (19,137 sq m)
Project Footprint:
153,000 sq ft (14,214 sq m)
Tallest Panel:
36 ft 6 in (11.13 m)
Widest Panel:
34 ft 0 in (10.36 m)
Heaviest Panel:
88,000 lbs (39,916 kg)
Tallest Cantilever:
8 ft 0 in (2.44 m)
Longest Spandrel:
22 ft 6 in (6.86 m)